Monday, June 28, 2010

A little about Farm Fresh & Local

During my 2010 Spring semester at the University of Redlands, I was enrolled in a Gender & Food class that truly sparked my interest in all things food related. For the final project of class, we had to come up with a creative project that would somehow relate to what we had learned in the class.

Since we had talked about the "fast" food revolution (tv dinners, canned food, etc), I had become extremely interested in learning more about fresh food and its importance. I knew that every Thursday there was a market night that was sure to boast an impressive amount of fresh produce, but I was so to learn that I knew very little of this subject.

I decided to make a magazine/newsletter type thing. I did a lot of research about quite a few of the local farms in the area, took lots of nifty pictures, and compiled all the information into a handy booklet that ended up looking rather nice.
My professor, and classmates, enjoyed it so much that they said I should get it published. I scoffed at these comments because I didn't think it was that quality, but it did spark a number of different thoughts in my head.

While researching information about local farms in the area, I found that there was a solid source of information at all. I had discovered an entire underground community of fresh food lovers, but it was something that you had to discover with a little bit of work because the information was not readily available.

So while on my run today (I run for the University of Redlands), I finally decided to make a blog to not only post all the information I have already gathered about various farms in the Redlands area, but to hopefully start finding and reporting on lots of different farm fresh food in the Inland Empire.

I can't promise that this will be perfect, but I think it's a start to something. I can only hope that this information will reach someone who is looking for it, someone who is looking to become a fresh food lover just like me!

No comments:

Post a Comment